Microsoft XmlDiffPatch

Apr 3, 2007 at 5:36 PM
I need: An XML diff tool that will return not only return a changed line, but a specific node that change had occured in. Let's say the xml file is very well structured and a change occured somewhere on node 5 of 6 nodes deep. Well I need it to always return the Entire 2 node. There are hundreds of '2' nodes - they are the primary fragments that mean the most.

I've been attempting to reverse engineering the source code for XmlDiffPatch for a few days now and getting rather frusterated - as well as reverse engineering one of the samples XmlDiffViewApp which returns the entire XML and all it's changes... which is a 75MB file if I run it against my real database rather than my test samples to RE this.

Maniupulating XML from this side is new to me - i'm either used to dataset's or the xml itself.

Even attempting to figure out if XmlDiffPatch returns some worthy node numbers in variable forms so I can capture that... but so far the diffgram appears to hold that.

If anyone can point me to either another tool or which function I can modify I'd be a very happy camper.

All the discussions refer to GotDotNet which as you may already know - are dead links now and it was suggested to contact here at codeplex - my appologies if I was misinformed.
Apr 4, 2007 at 5:04 PM
Hm... A quick search doesn't turn up that project. Maybe they haven't moved it yet?
Jul 11, 2008 at 11:18 AM
The XmlDiff part of the XML Notepad project http://www.codeplex.com/xmlnotepad looks a lot like the XmlDiffPatch from GotDotNet. But I don't know how they relate to each other. Anyway, you may want to take a look.