Unmonitored services in CodePlex.... Is there a pliot in the plane?

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:02 PM
I use SVN to manage my code project, and it appears that the service is unavailable since many days now.

I don't know how CodePlex is managed if people working on it are volunteers of paid people, but someting goes wrong here. It seems to me that the least feature of a Project Hosting site that souldn't become unavailable is the souce version control.

Don't take my words as a blame, I like this site, but I would like it more if such a feature wouldn't go down to long.
Dec 24, 2015 at 2:36 AM
Hi,

We are verifying this problem.
SVN is quite not stable right now and we are investigating it.

Best,

Xuefei Wang
CodePlex Team
Dec 24, 2015 at 3:54 PM
Edited Dec 24, 2015 at 3:54 PM
Thanks guys, happy to see you're looking fot it.
Feb 2 at 8:26 PM
So.. what happened with this issue?
Feb 3 at 2:41 PM
I received a reply in email saying that they are working on it, but with no estimate of time. I have asked if I can post the reply here, and am awaiting response.
Feb 4 at 1:25 AM
Hi,

SVN is really a big issue and we've taken it as the first priority.
We will inform you when the problem is resolved.

Here is the newest SVN report:

"We already know about the issue, unfortunately there isn’t a lot we can do about it without re-writing the SVN bridge.

The problem seems to have happened after the TFS upgrade. Now we are filling the dynamic TCP ports at a high frequency and customers are not able to actually get data via SVN. Currently we are evaluating if we can get rid of the SVN part of CodePlex and recommending to customers that use SVN and report the issue that we can migrate their code to git."

Best,

Xuefei Wang
CodePlex Team
Feb 8 at 4:23 PM
Can you convert repositories to git?

The svn access seems pretty broken these days: I have seen commits fail 30 times.
Feb 10 at 3:01 PM
I gather from your silence about dates that there is no prognosis for when it will be fixed?

I have several commits that have been failing for at least 50 times, for weeks.

You did write "we can migrate their code to git". Is that something that can be done now, to regain access to the code?

Because (I assume--is this true?) that there is no way to even export the code, with svn being completely broken.
Feb 18 at 2:32 AM
Hi,

Which project do you want to convert to git?
Please use this link to contact us:
https://www.codeplex.com/site/contact

Best,

Xuefei Wang
CodePlex Team
Feb 19 at 11:49 PM
Will the conversion preserve the source history?

(I am guessing so, or else it would be no better than doing a simple code export and starting over from scratch, right?)
Feb 22 at 7:01 AM
Hi,

Yes, we will preserve the source history.
Don't worry!

Best,

Xuefei Wang
CodePlex Team
Feb 23 at 3:26 AM
Thanks sooo! much to giving us an answer. It's really a relief to see that someone takes care of if.

Can I simply keep my project site YourqlDba.codeplex.com and change the source control? I just don't know how to do that, otherwise i would've done it sooner.

Maurice Pelchat

Feb 23 at 10:43 PM
I finally moved to TFS with the help of Codeplex support. Since behind the SVN bridge this is TFS, all my source history was still there. I use it through VS and it works like a charm. Good bye SVN Bridge.

For those who worry to go to TFS because you mak think you need VS, there is Team Explorer which is free.

https://codeplex.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Using%20TFS%20and%20Team%20Explorer%20with%20CodePlex

There is a place on Codeplex where you can ask for help to move your project to TFS.
Sorry I don't remember where it is.
Feb 24 at 1:10 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your help and notice!

Best,

Xuefei Wang
CodePlex Team
Feb 25 at 5:42 PM
If we abandon TFS and its somewhat dead svn bridge, and go to git, then it will be accessible again via real git, right? Then no bridge will be required?
Apr 1 at 11:47 PM
Same trouble here. I have been unable to use my repository for months now. Sometimes I may get a single file through, every 1 times out of 10, but usually all I get is an empty or invalid response.

Any news?
Apr 2 at 11:18 AM
Moving to github, or getting codeplex to convert the project to git, has seemed to be a win; then you have a working source control system that you can use with all the git clients.

One downside to having codeplex convert your project in-place to git: this will break all the source links in all your published releases. They don't patch those when they convert your project.

From that point of view, going to github is better, because that doesn't break all the source links in all the past releases. Of course, it does orphan your codeplex version of your code, but, you can just view that as a historical view.
Apr 23 at 12:58 AM
Edited Apr 23 at 1:02 AM
MauricePelchat wrote:
I use SVN to manage my code project, and it appears that the service is unavailable since many days now.

I don't know how CodePlex is managed if people working on it are volunteers of paid people, but someting goes wrong here. It seems to me that the least feature of a Project Hosting site that souldn't become unavailable is the souce version control.

Don't take my words as a blame, I like this site, but I would like it more if such a feature wouldn't go down to long.
Dude I thought I was being remotedly accessed and hacving my files stolen when i had an issue. (sudo fight follows lol)

about 5 or so clones of downloads every time I would try and organize my local home folder or move a file and every thing was shared got mounted inside time capsule.... its not dead i hope .

Then I was having someone host my icloud photos and share them using mega. it gets ugly when you mess with the css