Join seemingly abandoned project

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Having found a project that seems abandoned (sole project member not responding, issues and comments piling up), I was wondering whether there was any way to join such a project without going to the (unresponsive) coordinator. I have worked out a fix for a major issue that would make the project usable again for many people, but, so far, there doesn't seem a way to implement it.

What's the correct way to handle a situation like this?

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:49 PM

What's the name of the project? Generally speaking in the open source world, people tend to fork projects: they create a new project based on the original and refer to where the original came from. Just our thoughts. We're curious what other people think.

Feel free to contact us if you have any more questions.

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:48 PM

I'm having the same issue. I have a bunch of updates for the Html Agility Pack. I've made many attempts to contact the coordinator over the last 2 months. I've emailed him on hotmail, here, his work and through facebook with no responses at all. I also have not been able to contact the 1 developer listed on the project.

@potofcoffee: The best you can do without forking is what I did. Submit a patch, direct people to your patch with the changes. Update the tickets in question with the information so anyone coming from a search engine can find the code you've added. Do this while waiting to get added to the project.

Personally I'd rather not fork this project if I didn't have to. There's no reason it couldn't continue on. The project while abandoned still has a good following, it has a good name and a good reputation. It's not a lovers quarrel that would cause it to fork, only lack of communication.

If there is anyone that knows how to get in touch with coordinator ( a former MS employee) I'd love to just talk with him about my changes. It still is his baby, even if it is malnutritioned and neglected.

I do understand the issues on codeplex's side of just abritrarily adding people to a project without the coordinators consent. I do think there should be a good effort to contact persons responsible for the project and a review of the project's history before anyone should be added. I have contributed the code almost as much as I possibly can without forking the project and I am willing to wait a bit longer before I make my final decision on forking.

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:05 PM
I have the same question - what to do if said project doesn't allow forking because it hasn't migrated to Git?