Very slow SVN operations

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:13 AM

I am seeing _very_ slow SVN operations when I do anything with SVN on codeplex. For example, svn update will say "At revision XYZ" relatively quickly, however, it then waits for several minutes until the command terminates. An strace shows that the 'svn update' process is doing "recv". This indicates that there's some network operation that hasn't completed yet.  Eventually the command will finish but it takes a couple of minutes.

Is anyone else seeing this behavior? Is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks, Brian

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Yes I see this too, but only on Linux clients. On Windows clients it seems to be fine. In general, SVN on CodePlex seems to be terrible compared to other code hosting sites. I have a lot of svn:externals in my projects that references various places, and I have to avoid updating the CodePlex references unless absolutely necessary (or if I want a 10 minute break from work).

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Hello,

I belong to a work group where everybody uses SVN, both in Windows and in Linux, and there are speed problems from both OS users

The main problem is that "sometimes" a commit from someone takes hours to be available as latest version of the code!! This is producing many conflicts and making codeplex a tool to be avoided!

Can you help understand this problem?

Thanks in advance

Ana

Jan 22, 2011 at 3:20 AM

We've never heard a report before of a commit not being immediately available.  Are there any kinds of details you can provide to help us investigate?

Another thing you might consider is we generally recommend to all Subversion users that they switch to Mercurial instead.  Mercurial takes a little getting used to, but we've consistently found Subversion users are much happier with Mercurial after using it for a while.  You can use the Contact Us form to request to have your project switched to Mercurial.