Having crashed programmes send a bug report

Apr 8, 2009 at 1:21 PM
When my .net application throws an exception I would like to show the user a dialog box offering them to send a bug report.
My questions are:
  1. Is this possible with Codeplex?
  2. If not, would it be worth requesting the feature (i.e. are there any reasons why this is impossible?)
  3. What would other common solutions to this be?
Apr 8, 2009 at 7:23 PM
You could use the TFS API's to programmatically add an issue.  The TFS API isn't the easiest to use, so maybe requesting a feature for a simpler API for integrating a bug reporting feature would be worthwhile.

We do know of at least one project that used the TFS API's to implement a bug reporting feature into their application, but it did cause a problem because users did not realize when submitting a bug report through the application it would get posted publicly for all to see, and one user included some private information about their systems in a bug report and got upset to see it displayed publicly for all.
Apr 8, 2009 at 9:11 PM
I had already found this post and stopped trying after I didn't get it to work and thought it would require a password anyway. It probably wouldn't be possible to remove the private information from the bug report programmatically without losing non-private and important data.
Adding to the privacy problem every bug report would cause a new issue to be created, flooding the Issue Tracker of (especially large) projects.
I added Programmatically sending bug reports to Codeplex's Issue Tracker.