Able to check out source for unpublished project

Dec 17, 2008 at 6:03 PM
I created a project, selected the license, and uploaded the source code.  Even though the project has not been published yet, I am able to check out the source using the TortoiseSVN client, without presenting any credentials.  Is this a bug?  I would have expected that a non-published project would only allow check out for approved members.

Apr 21, 2009 at 6:23 PM
Edited Apr 21, 2009 at 6:23 PM
I have noticed this as well. Even someone unregistered with the project could find the base URL ( which says "This project is unpublished etc etc" and take the SVN directory (
The solution, it seems, would be to have read AND write access username-restricted for the first 30 days, then remove all read access afterwards.
EDIT: Just noticed this discussion is in fact very old, but I would like to note that this does still seem to be the case.
Apr 22, 2009 at 7:43 AM
Whoa... someone actually responded to my post, albeit 4 months later.  I wonder if the Codeplex support team pays much attention to whats going on here.  Or maybe they just expect the community to take care of everything without any care or feeding (judging from all the single post discussions, thats probably the case).
Apr 27, 2009 at 6:01 AM
This has been fixed now.