Is CodePlex itself Open Source?

Dec 4, 2008 at 9:17 PM
I am working on a little open community site, and would like to add a forum to the mix.  However, it would not be an integral part of the community, so something like yetanotherforum.net/vbulletin/etc is overboard.  I really like the simplicity of the Discussion module that is a part of CodePlex.  Is any of this open source?  Is the source available anywhere?
Dec 4, 2008 at 11:08 PM
Hi bluecollar, this question is answered in our CodePlex FAQ.
Dec 6, 2008 at 10:37 AM
Colint, just curious, do I understand correctly that CodePlex is profitable by stress-testing Microsoft's server-side software?
Dec 6, 2008 at 6:25 PM
I'm not sure I understand the question.  CodePlex is a free service, so by definition doesn't have revenue or profits.
Dec 7, 2008 at 10:43 AM
Edited Dec 7, 2008 at 10:44 AM
Free is not necessarily unprofitable, though, right? Sourceforge never recovered from the dot-com bubble burst. If CodePlex does not have a good business model, then Microsoft is bound to eventually loose interest. My theory is that it does have one. :)
Dec 7, 2008 at 11:28 AM
I think I understand now, your question is what value does Microsoft get from running CodePlex?  There are two primary reasons.  One is Microsoft has hundreds of projects on the site, such as Ajax Control Toolkit, IronPython, Managed Extensibility Framework, and Silverlight Toolkit.  The other is because Microsoft is a software platform company, supporting developers is important.
Dec 7, 2008 at 2:52 PM
This makes sense. Thanks for answering.