"Bad Request - Request Too Long" with IE8Beta2

Oct 4, 2008 at 3:20 PM
I have been unable to access www.codeplex.com from my Vista machine running IE8B2 for the last several days.  I always get back a page that says "Bad Request - Request Too Long" followed by "HTTP Error 400. The size of the request headers is too long."   I think it was working with IE8Beta2 before, so I suspect it is due to something peculiar my machine, but I don't know what.

Is anyone else encounting this or know how to fix it?
Oct 4, 2008 at 5:14 PM
Try clearing your cookies and see if that helps.
Oct 4, 2008 at 6:12 PM
I did.  It did not help.
Oct 4, 2008 at 6:20 PM
btw, fwiw, in case anyone can spot the trouble, I went to http://www.nerdlabs.org/tools/request_headers.php
and this is the output:

Information sent by your browser

Key Value
Accept image/gif, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, application/x-ms-application, application/vnd.ms-xpsdocument, application/xaml+xml, application/x-ms-xbap, application/vnd.ms-excel, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/msword, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/x-silverlight-2-b2, application/x-silverlight, */*
Accept-Language en-US
User-Agent Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; MS-RTC LM 8; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30618; Zune 3.0)
UA-CPU x86
Accept-Encoding gzip, deflate
Host www.nerdlabs.org
Connection Keep-Alive

Oct 4, 2008 at 7:39 PM
ok, well - i'm not sure if what I did was a good solution, but it seems to have worked so far...
I was rooting around looking at what was in my \Users\<profile>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files folder, and happened to notice that higher up in the tree, I had a folder name something like this (sorry - i didn't record the exact name before i deleted it.)

the contents of the folder looked temp files to be related to a project that I participate in and use the codeplex source code client with.
Also, using fidder I was able to view the Raw contents of the failing request the browser was sending...  here is an abbreviated view of it.  it was over 16K long.

GET / HTTP/1.1
Accept: */*
Accept-Language: en-US
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; Zune 3.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR

1.1.4322; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; MS-RTC LM 8; .NET CLR 3.0.30618)
UA-CPU: x86
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Host: www.codeplex.com
Connection: Keep-Alive
Pragma: no-cache
Cookie: WT_FPC=id=;


e&pageSize=0&releaseFilter=&sortDirection=Descending&sortField=Votes&statusFilter=Open (not closed)&typeFilter=All;

searchasmx=assignedToFilter=&  <snipped out lots of repeating content>  &subscribedThreadsOnly=False

Anyway, after deleting the temp folder  \Users\<profile>\AppData\Local\http___www_codeplex_com - then I am able to access the site successfully again.
I'm not sure what negative fallout my action will have, but if i notice any I'll post a reply.