Activity: Page Views, Visits and Pages Per Visit

Jan 4, 2007 at 5:47 PM

Could someone please explain what the difference is between Page Views, Visits and Pages Per Visit? (These statistics appear on a project's home page under the Activity section).

I'd also like to know whether my own "visits" or "views" are counted when I'm signed in. I've been vigorously creating and editing wiki pages in my project and the last time the stats were updated (daily, IIRC?) there was a big jump in all of the statistics from their previous values. I'd like to know whether they are legitimate or not.

Jan 4, 2007 at 10:09 PM
A visit is like a session. If you open a browser, navigate through a number of pages on your project, then close the browser, it gets counted as one visit.

A page view is what it sounds like, every time you navigate to any page of your project it is a page view.

Pages per visit are pages views divided by visits.

The statistics don't filter out the pages views from the coordinator, so your page views and visits do get counted. The statistics get updated every day at around 10am pacific time.
Jan 4, 2007 at 11:24 PM

Thanks for the explanation.

It's too bad about the coordinator's visits and views being counted. It renders the statistics meaningless for those that frequent their own projects to perform updates and to check out the statistics.

Jan 4, 2007 at 11:30 PM

I just realized too that a coordinator's visits being counted also coorupts, somewhat, the "Sort By" statistics (Activity, Popularity, and Page Hits) in the Project Directory. Is that true?
Jan 5, 2007 at 5:10 AM
It is true that the statistic values displayed on the projects home page are the same values used for sorting in the project directory.

I suggest you log a feature request in the issue tracker around this, I would like to see what the thoughts and votes are from other users.

Currently the projects with the lowest page view scores are the ones where not even the coordinator visits anymore, so in some ways it kinda seems appropriate for a project with an attentive coordinator to get a popularity boost because of that.
Jan 5, 2007 at 7:31 AM

I've taken your advice and added a feature request:

You make a good point in your last statement too.