Is there a rollback feature for mercurial repositories?

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Say I check in a file to a Mercurial repository (and push to the Codeplex server) and then later realise I don't want it in my repository at all (e.g. it is a GPL licensed file and not compatible with my license, or it is a large file that isn't actually needed). Can I ask my repository on the Codeplex servers to rewind to a specified revision?

I am of course aware that this raises the issue that the change could still exist in other people's clones or forks, but if I am the project coordinator, I am not under any obligation to pull back from anyone who made a clone that contains the file added in error, so I can't see this as being a serious problem.

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:39 AM

We can zero out your repository for you, should you need it for these circumstances. In regards to removing a file, the easiest route is to perform a conversion (via hg convert) excluding the file(s) you do not want present. While there are other methods of editing your history, this is the safest route. Once the conversion has completed, you can push your local repository back up to CodePlex.

Matt