Teamprise Explorer stand-alone client access

Jul 25, 2010 at 6:43 PM

I used the Teamprise Explorer stand-alone client to access our project at Codeplex (with a free license), but since this week, I can't log in anymore.

Is that because the client doesn't support the new TFS 2010 at Codeplex?

If so, what can I do?
Is there a migration path for this situation?

Jos

Jul 25, 2010 at 9:28 PM

You have to use the new "Team Explorer Everywhere" client, which is the 2010 version of Teamprise Explorer: http://codeplex.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Obtaining%20the%20Team%20Explorer%20Everywhere%20Client&referringTitle=Source%20control%20clients

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:29 AM
jwanagel wrote:

You have to use the new "Team Explorer Everywhere" client, which is the 2010 version of Teamprise Explorer: http://codeplex.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Obtaining%20the%20Team%20Explorer%20Everywhere%20Client&referringTitle=Source%20control%20clients

But that's described as an Eclipse plug-in and a command-line client. Can I use it as a stand-alone GUI client?

Thanks in advance,

Jos

Coordinator
Jul 26, 2010 at 10:00 PM
Edited Jul 26, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Unfortuneately, we were not able to get the same stand-alone explorer application included into the initial Microsoft release of Team Explorer Everywhere (formerly Teamprise). However, it is possible to acheive a similar result by downloading a slimmed down version of Eclipse and installing the Team Foundation Server plug-in for Eclipse into that. The advantage of this is that you can actually be running on the very latest versions of the Eclipse runtime if you wanted meaning that you get access to the improvements in SWT support on other platforms (and the Mac versions for example have been improving rapidly).

The lightest weight version of Eclipse to download is the Platform Runtime. This is basically just the shell of Eclipse without all the programing language support etc.

http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/R-3.6-201006080911/index.php#PlatformRuntime

If you download the appropriate version of that for your platform, you can then install the plug-in into that version of Eclipse using the Update Site Archive mechanism documented in the install guide. You can then use the TFS Exploring Perspective to interact with Team Foundation Server. In a future release we hope to make the above process a lot easier, both to get installed and in terms of experience once installed. In the meantime, let me know how you get on.

Regards, Martin.

Jul 27, 2010 at 8:19 AM

Thanks for your reply, Martin.

I was using VS2008 Express for developing and the Teamprise Explorer GUI client for having source control. It's unfortunate that this simple solution is not possible anymore.

Jos

Jul 28, 2010 at 1:25 AM

Another option is you can install the Team Explorer client.  It will run in a separate window from VS Express, but it will still work.

Jul 28, 2010 at 8:20 AM
jwanagel wrote:

Another option is you can install the Team Explorer client.  It will run in a separate window from VS Express, but it will still work.

OK, I'll try that. I didn't consider it before, because it's a 360 MB download, Teamprise Explorer was just 15 MB.

Thanks!

Jos