I.E. 8 and "HTTP Error 400. The size of the request headers is too long."

Mar 6, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Let me start by saying I have found a couple of discussions here and tried the suggestions presented with no luck (delete cookies, temporary internet files, etc.).  I am posting this using Firefox.

I am consistently getting the error "HTTP Error 400. The size of the request headers is too long." with I.E. 8 when trying to navigate away from the main Codeplex page.  The home page loads fine but any attempt to navigate away generates the Error 400.  I thought that it may be related to the fact that I have it set to automatically log me in (Remember Login) but I can't even logout.  I get the same Error 400 when I click logout.  Below are some things I have noted during my attempts to resolve this. 

  • I had this problem once before and it seemed to go away on it's own.  Now it's back!
  • I am running Windows-7 Home Premium 64-bit
  • I am getting the same result with both the 32-bit and 64-bit version of I.E.
  • The version of I.E. 8 is 8.0.7600.16385
  • I have a computer at work running Windows-7 Ultimate (32-bit) and I seem to be able to access the site fine with I.E. 8.  This makes me believe that it is something on my computer.
  • I noticed that when attempting to change page numbers in the "Most Downloaded" and "New Releases" sections only works the first time I click a page number.  For example if I click page 2, the screen is updated but if I click page 3 nothing happens.  I get no error message nor do I see an error indicator on the left of the status line.
  • When on the Home page if I do a [CTRL] F5 to refresh the page I get the "! Error on Page" indicator in the left of the status line.  Double-clicking the error indicator brings up a windows with the following details.

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.2)
Timestamp: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 13:42:01 UTC

Message: 'Sys' is undefined
Line: 89
Char: 1
Code: 0
URI: http://www.codeplex.com/

Message: Object expected
Line: 443
Char: 2
Code: 0
URI: http://www.codeplex.com/

Message: Object expected
Line: 467
Char: 25
Code: 0
URI: http://www.codeplex.com/

Message: Object expected
Line: 56
Char: 1
Code: 0
URI: http://www.codeplex.com/

Please help!!

Chuck

 

Mar 6, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Sorry your having troubles. This is a known issue and the workaround is to clear your cookies.

Matt

Mar 6, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Matt,  Thanks for the quick reply.  Unfortunately clearing cookies does not resolve the issue in this case.  I saw that as a solution in another post and tried that and other things before posting.  I've cleared cookies, downloaded programs, history and even went in to the "Temporary Internet Files" folder and manually deleted file and nothing has resolved the issue.  I also tried diabling the few I.E. Add-ins that were loading.  Nothing has helped.

Is the "known issue" something on the server side or with I.E. 8?

 

 

Mar 6, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Interesting, clearing your cookies should have gotten around this problem. The root cause is the cookie CodePlex uses gets too large, and the server then rejects it - which can happen in all browsers. I'm not aware of any other situation that would cause this error message.

Can you try doing this again, shutting the browser down between clears? If the cookies are not dissapearing, something else on the computer is going wacky :)

Matt

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:29 PM
Edited Mar 6, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Matt, I FOUND IT!!!  I'm posting this with hope that this info may help someone else having this problem.

Your comment about the root cause being the CodePlex cookie and the size led me to dig a little deeper.  I checked the Temporary Internet Files directory looking for a cookie related to codeplex.  I did see a bunch of files with cookie: in their name but I didn't see any files with "codeplex" in the name.  So I did a search of the entire C: drive for files containing "codeplex".

My search uncovered the file "chuck@codeplex[2].txt" in the folder "C:\Users\Chuck\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low".  The file was 18KB, when all the other files in this folder were 1 or 2 KB.

I deleted this file manually from the folder and all is working again!  Apparently, deleting cookies using "Internet Options" doesn't delete all the cookies. 

Thanks for making me think about this. 

Chuck

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Great to hear - weird that IE wasn't able to remove those cookies...

Matt