CodePlex issues feedback

Oct 25, 2006 at 3:58 PM
Greetings -

I'm very pleased with CodePlex, but as I use it more, I see that much work is yet planned.

I am unable to find feedback on issues which are encouraged to be posted in the Issue Tracker.

For example, one is logged on May 24 and is a very good idea - allow post editing:

Yet, I haven't seen any response other than a few "me too"s from other users.

How are you handling issues?
Oct 25, 2006 at 5:49 PM
We do weekly triages of feature and bug requests, and do releases every few weeks.

We must prioritize the work we do for each release based on a lot of factors. We do look at external issues and consider them when decide what gets worked on each week. We tend to close external issues that we don't plan to fix, so the fact that the item is a few months old and not closed means is a decent indicator that we're intending to fix the issue, but simply haven't gotten to it yet.
Oct 26, 2006 at 4:24 AM
Ok, that's a good thing to know... issues will silently disappear when they are not considered.

Anything published on those several-week iterations? There are some pretty crucial features lacking (compared to other code-host sites, and even a moderatly good home-brew development setup) and it would be good to get a bit more feedback from community members on what they need, I think. Otherwise, communication is pretty much one way... you get the requests, decide what to do, and we take what you give us. I do appreciate that, of course, but "community" to me means more of a conversation.
Oct 26, 2006 at 4:26 AM
One thing I wanted to add is that we are getting new feature requests logged in the issue tracker faster then we can build them into the site, but we're really hoping that doesn't discourage people from continuing to log more because we're definitely not ignoring them.

Our next release is coming up on 11/7 and will have a lot of new features that people have been asking for. It includes a new feature that will allow us to more easily determine which features are the most desired by users so that we can make sure we're adding those first.
Oct 26, 2006 at 5:29 AM
The only thing I would like to add is that we do have a wiki page that details the external issues that we have deployed in each release. See:
Oct 26, 2006 at 7:57 AM
Thanks for the wiki link - good to know about the release notes.

I'm a software developer, too, so I appreciate the finer points of not being able to construct quality code as fast as the issues flow in, but that's not what I think could use the improvement here... it's the communication on those issues.

I believe the most constructive thing for me to do is log some issues on what might be possible in this communication (like issue voting, different closed statuses, possible timeframe tags short, medium, long term)...
Oct 27, 2006 at 12:46 AM
If you could log some of your suggestions, that would be great!

One question about the timeframe tags suggestion, since we basically try and let the users suggest the timeframes, how would that work? Would the users tag it with short, medium, or long? When would long become medium or short?
Oct 31, 2006 at 11:44 PM
It's relative. They only serve as indications of relative priority, or ability to complete within a particular timeframe. A development team has (or should have!) much more insight into the effort required to implement a certain feature or to fix an issue. With the architecture of the product in mind, it is easier to evaluate input and give feedback that would refine the approach taken in the user/developer dialog. I've noticed what appears to be a wide variance in the "priority" that issues are given by users. Some rather important things are lower than I'd like to see them, and there are others labeled "high" when I don't know if we are served as well by rushing to get them fixed or implemented. Comments don't really serve to attenuate the effect of what might not be a shared perspective in the CodePlex community, or amplify what is. The noise level then goes up, making the "priority" field less and less useful. Some way of being able to weigh in on this matter (quantatatively, not just a qualitative comment), as a user, and receive feedback from developers on how they plan to target it for a particular release/iteration/timeframe would be great guidance as a project member. I'd even appreciate this bi-directional feedback as a developer on the project I'm working on here at CodePlex.

Subversion over at CollabNet (a good development collaboration platform, btw) has a rather decent approach. See their project roadmap: The roadmap is qualitative, so it's easy to implement, clear and communicates faithfully the direction of the project. Their issue list ( isn't glamorous, but it defines priorities more specifically. Then there is an "effort index" number which is the developer feedback of effort and, indirectly, development timeframe. Though this is expressed in days there, it could just be a relative number. The important thing is communicating some level of expectation, so workarounds can be evaluated as needed.