Areas and Iterations

Oct 25, 2006 at 12:49 AM
Is there any way to manage the areas and iterations in a project? I know the areas correspond to Code Plex's definition of a "component" and that you can add components by managing them in the work items view. However, I cannot delete a component, nor can I add levels of components. Furthermore, I have not found a way to organize iterations at all either, and coordinators are not given permissions to create these nodes in the team explorer tree. Am I missing something, or is this functionality not available at the present time?
Oct 25, 2006 at 2:48 AM
You are correct that this functionality is not available at this time. All the management of these things must be done through the web site.

If there are specific things you want to be able to do here, please make sure to log them in the Issue Tracker. :)
Nov 8, 2006 at 3:12 PM
The build we deployed yesterday (11/7) includes support for deleting components.

We also added support for voting on items in the issue tracker. If you'd like to see hierarchical components or the ability to rename components go ahead and create an feature request in the issue tracker and get people to vote for it!
Nov 29, 2006 at 10:25 PM
Hi, Where do i need to go to add more areas and iterations via the website? i cant see it anywhere on my project (bizunitextensions).

Nov 30, 2006 at 5:28 AM
You add both areas and iterations through the web site. Areas are called "Components" on the website, and iterations are the "Releases". So add a new Component to get a new area, and a new Release to get a new iteration.
Nov 1, 2012 at 6:21 PM

So will "Areas" and "Iterations" every link to "Components" and "Releases," respectively? 

Currently, in VS2012, when I click on Areas or Iterations, I get "Logon Failure: unknown user name or bad password"

Nov 2, 2012 at 5:27 PM

It's a different concept. Areas/Iterations in TFS2012 are shared across multiple team projects. So that's why in codeplex we use component/release per project.

This is also why you're seeing a login or permissions error when you try to access it.