Codeplex "Provide Customer Feedback" infrastructure

Nov 12, 2007 at 5:40 PM
Edited Nov 12, 2007 at 5:43 PM
I help coordinate a successful project here on Codeplex (Sharepoint Learning Kit) in addition to having a day job as a developer at a commercial company. What I miss most from my day job is the ability to get a good feel for how customers are using my project. I'd like a simple feedback mechanism, similar to what many commercial companies use, to automatically generate stats such as "number of program starts today" or "number of documents stored in the library" or "average size of documents stored in the library".

I'd like the ability to collect on and report (tabular and graphs) these numbers with a little light trend analysis (e.g. current # of users over the last 12 months). This data is both very interesting to the community as well as very useful when trying to gather support (sponsored or freely given) for rthe project.

I could roll my own web service/database/web reporting tool, deploy it to some other host (like GoDaddy) and then link to it from Codeplex. However, I suspect that my requirements are not unique among codeplex projects. Would you be interested in hosting a feedback service like this for projects in general?

Thanks,

- jcb
Nov 12, 2007 at 11:11 PM
I sounds like a useful idea, I suggest you log it as a feature request in the issue tracker. If a lot of people vote for it, then we can look into supporting it.