Creating a new PRIVATE project?

Oct 19, 2007 at 2:16 AM
Is it possible to create a private project? This means a project, here on CodePlex, which only you and your developers have access to. At least for the source code, similar to the CodePlex website project -- people (like myself) can discuss, etc .. but cannot download any releases or see / access any source code at all.

The first of the three requirements for creating a new project is:
You must choose a license for your project (license resources: Open Source License page on Wikipedia)

Does this mean it has to be an open source license? Can I define my own custom license?

Oct 19, 2007 at 4:24 AM
Sorry, we do not allow private projects on the site.

We handle custom license requests on a case-by-case basis, though we would really prefer that you use an existing open source license. I'm sure you'll be able to find one which is keeping in the spirit of your project desires. :)
Oct 19, 2007 at 5:34 AM
Thanks Brian for your prompt reply :) I'm very sure we'll be able to find a existing license no probs. The reason for the private project question was so that smaller dev krews (who didn't want to show their code) didn't have to purchase TFS, etc, cause this site / site functionality is just so damn good and is very adictive once you've started using it.

Thanks heaps and keep up the good work. :)

Sep 11, 2009 at 3:58 AM

I've been wanting to use CodePlex for some "private" projects, e.g. those that I would never release code to the public, but would release builds and provide support for Free.

Instead I turn to free 3rd party respositories, I spend money on hardware to prevent loss due to hardware failures, etc. I love CodePlex, I wish I could use it as a private service (even if I had to pay, say, a subscription fee to do so.)

Sep 11, 2009 at 4:09 AM

be kewl if they could offer a subscription service for cheap, if the project is _small_. eg. $5 month for unlimted projects which are no more than 10MB in file size (for code) or something. same functionality, but source control tab is restricted to users instead of open.

Dec 8, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Microsoft would be really smart if they put TFS in the cloud, that way amateur teams could use it for small projects and fall in love with it. Right now TFS is a monster to configure, especially with secure external access. I have been trying to write a hello world project with TFS support, but are stuck with tedious ITPRO blockers.