How to Maintain Project With Solution in Subdirectory

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:00 PM
I generally set up projects with a second level directory "src" containing the solution file and the source tree under it. I set up my NUnitLite project that way, but now I have discovered that I can't put files above that are not under src into source control. I manage the project using VS2005 and Team Explorer.

How can one set up a project so that the solution is not in the root directory? Is it necessary to use a standalone client? Is it possible to change my project, now that it is set up?

Sep 15, 2007 at 12:06 AM
To add a file to source control using Team Explorer outside of the directory containing your solution, you need to use the Source Control Explorer (versus the Solution Explorer).

Does that help?
Sep 18, 2007 at 1:47 AM
Thanks... I tried the Source Control Explorer and I see I can't add the files. I'm guessing it's because they would be in the root of my project and that's not allowed.

So, I set it up like

Seems like I should have set up one more top-level folder to hold the files in the root and to be a container for other directories besides src. Any tips on reorganizing it?

Sep 18, 2007 at 1:51 AM
I use the /trunk, /branches, /tags scheme prevalent in subversion practice. It appears to work well for TFS (where branches appear to be copies to different paths), as well, and has the added bonus of being well-understood.
Oct 29, 2007 at 6:41 PM
In the end, I used trunk as a directory, but I discovered that the real reason I couldn't add files was that the workspace mapping didn't include the root directory. I'm just posting this in case someone else has the same issue.