Restarting a project

Sep 10, 2006 at 2:52 PM

How can I restart a project if I started it in one language then I decided to change the language to another one?

Sep 10, 2006 at 8:13 PM
Can you modify your existing project? Is there something you can't change about the project that you need to for changing the language?
Sep 10, 2006 at 9:58 PM
Currently my project is in C#. I would like to utilize the DbC approach instead of TDD. The project is still rather in my mind than in the code, so such change seems to be possible for me. There are few ways to realize design by contract in C#:
1. Create code for spec# (write spec# constructs in comments (i.e. //^). Then it is possible to write a builder (as a tool or vs add-in) to build project under spec#.
2. Implement own DbC framework. Actually I started it. I designed a framework that uses attributes to specify contracts and acts as a preprocessor. It changes copied source files by inserting appropriate code to methods. The one disadvantage is that some exceptions may not point to the extact places in actual source file.
3. Other approaches are insufficient in my opinion. I tried nContract, DbC Framework (described on CodeProject). XC# doesn't work with C# 2.0.

On the other hand there is Eiffel.NET or Chrome. Whereas the first one is not integrated with VS 2005 and .net 2.0 (Envision), the latter seems to have all necessary features. After my first experiences it seems reasonably.

Therefore I wonder if is it possible to change the project language. In fact I am inexperienced user of Team System so I have no idea whether it is a serious technical problem.
Sep 11, 2006 at 1:31 AM
Team Foundation Server does not limit your source code to specific languages. In fact, you could store non-.NET source code in TFS, and it wouldn't care. :)
Sep 11, 2006 at 3:08 AM
That's good news :). Is there any simple way to "reset" a project in order to start it again?
Sep 11, 2006 at 3:43 PM
No, I think the closest you could get is deleting all the files then start adding what you want again.
Sep 11, 2006 at 4:39 PM
That's exactly what I did. And it's fine now :).
Thanks a lot for the discussion. :)