Using TortoiseSVN with Codeplex

Jun 20, 2007 at 12:50 PM
Is there an overview or guide for connecting to Codeplex projects with TortioiseSVN, or similar subversion client? Codeplex was shooting for integration with SVN clients on Monday, but there is little info on that lately, save the release of the SVNBridge project.

Right now I need the URL to point TortoiseSVN at, and the correct credentials (assuming it's my codeplex login for now).
Jun 20, 2007 at 3:10 PM
The SvnBridge project wiki home page talks about what our expectations are for v1 and v2. Until we have v2 done and deployed onto CodePlex servers, there won't be a simple URL for you to point your Subversion client to.
Jun 20, 2007 at 3:21 PM
So, bottom line, TortoiseSVN doesn't work with Codeplex until v2?
Jun 20, 2007 at 4:56 PM
For v1, we're releasing a desktop version of the Subversion bridge. You can use this to talk to CodePlex (or any other TFS server, for that matter). You will need to be running the bridge locally to use TortoiseSVN. Your subversion client will be talking to a localhost Subversion "server" which is actually the SvnBridge running on your box.

For v2, we're releasing both a desktop and a server version of the Subversion bridge. Additionally, we will be installing the server version on CodePlex servers so that you will be able to use TortoiseSVN without having to install anything on your box. At that point, we will have CodePlex URLs for Subversion.

If you don't not want to run the desktop version of the bridge, then you will need to wait until we finish v2 and deploy it to our servers.
Jun 20, 2007 at 5:41 PM

Dugald wrote:
So, bottom line, TortoiseSVN doesn't work with Codeplex until v2?

In practice, the desktop bridge works well. I'm running on it now, and TortoiseSVN works. I can't even tell the difference between my CodePlex repository and the repository on Google Projects. The bridge is fairly unobtrusive and the configuration couldn't be simpler. While the server-based version is what is needed long-term, this is definately a viable immediate solution, unless you are more interested in purity over pragmatics.
Oct 18, 2007 at 3:33 PM
I have followed all the steps but when checking out the project no files are downloaded. Only the svn folder is created. The number of the revision is 27767.

Does any body know what can be happening?

Thanks.
Oct 18, 2007 at 5:00 PM
What are you entering for the "URL of Repository" in the TortoiseSVN checkout screen?
Oct 19, 2007 at 8:28 AM
This is what I enter:

Server URl into the "Team Foundation Server" for the SVNBridge: https://tfs01.codeplex.com
URL of Repository: http://localhost:8081/Tackle
Oct 19, 2007 at 5:36 PM
I checked the Source Code tab for your project (http://www.codeplex.com/Tackle/SourceControl/ListDownloadableCommits.aspx), and you haven't added any files into source control yet. So what you're seeing is the expected behavior.

To add files to your project, create them in the folder you specified in the SVN Checkout, then run SVN Commit.
Oct 22, 2007 at 8:06 AM
Thanks a lot!

I missunderstood the behaviour of the functionality.

So I can only see there my inputs to the project? Is there any way to checkout the source code of the project apart from installing it and creating a project with files in the virtual directory?

We have started working by doing that.

And then, I could share our contribution committing the files is the folder specified in the SVN Checkout, is it right?

Thaks again, and sorry for my english.
Oct 22, 2007 at 8:16 AM
If I understand what you're saying than I think the answer is yes. You can work on your source code on your machine, then when you're ready to share the source code you can copy the files to the folder specified in the SVN Checkout and run SVN Commit to upload the files to the source control server.