Validation error on one View makes the others stop working

May 15, 2007 at 3:28 PM
Hi all,
I'm in charge of maintaining a CAB application I didn't write and I need advice on where to start troubleshooting this case. I have several views in this application, each view has its own WorkItem and Controller and fulfills a use case. There is a particular view with a grid that causes validation on user input. When the user leaves that particular view (opens another view) and there are validation errors the other views that are opened are non-functional, for instance, the click events are not fired. This behavior only happens on this particular view and this is not the only view that has validation controls.
I'm posting this in case someone have had this behavior before in a CAB application. I shoudl add that when the user navigates away from this view and opens another one, the workitem that is associated to that view becomes inactive and a new workitem gets active.
Thanks in advance for any clue.
L.
May 15, 2007 at 5:09 PM
This forum is for CodePlex web site issues and discussion only.

Please re-post your question in the appropriate project forum.

Thanks!
May 15, 2007 at 5:17 PM
To add more to this strange behavior. When the user navigates away from the View that has the validation errors, the workitem that contains that view is deactivated and a new workitem becomes active, normal behavior. When the user click on any control in the new view the ControlActivationService (from CAB) triggers the OnControlEntered event. The sender on this event is the workitem that contained the problematic view. As a result, the OnControlEvent activates the workitem that had the invalid view. The end user is seeing a view that is non-responsive and the workitem that is active at the moment is not showing any view but getting activated each time the end user clicks on the non-responsive view.

I'm not sure why the OnControlEvent gets triggered when the user interacts with a view that has nothing to do with the workitem that acts as a sender.

Thanks for looking into this.

May 15, 2007 at 5:43 PM
oh, I thought I had posted on CAB's forum. I'll repost this thread then. Thanks.