CodePlex Basics: Getting Started
Create a CodePlex Account
You can browse CodePlex projects anonymously, but to participate in CodePlex projects or create projects of your own, you’ll need to create a CodePlex account.
To create a CodePlex account:
- From the CodePlex home page, click Register.
- On the registration page, you can choose to either register with an existing Windows Live ID account, so that you can log in to CodePlex with your Windows Live ID, or choose to create a new CodePlex account. You can associate your CodePlex account with
a Windows Live ID at a later time if you wish.
- Once you’ve made your choice, fill out the registration form with your username, password and e-mail.
- Retrieve the e-mail sent to you from firstname.lastname@example.org, and then click the link provided to complete the registration process.
Edit Your Profile
You can edit various aspects of your user profile, including your avatar, a short biography, your e-mail settings, and your password. To edit your CodePlex user profile:
- Sign in to your CodePlex user account.
- Click on your username in the upper right of any CodePlex page.
- From the your profile page, click on the “edit your profile” link next to your username.
Find a Project
You can find open source projects by using the search box at the top of every CodePlex page. The search tool returns links to projects that contain the search keyword(s) in either the project title or in the project description.
To use the search tool:
- In the “search all projects” text box, type a set of keywords or a phrase, and hit enter to search.
- In the search results page, you will find options to further filter your search results.
You can use the follow project feature to keep abreast of the latest changes to your favorite projects.
- When you visit a project, on the top of the right sidebar is a statistic about the number of people who follow the project.
- Click the “follow” link to have updates to that project’s source code, issues, discussions, and documentation appear in your activity feed.
Join a Project
Some projects are actively interested in finding new team members. Projects that are actively looking for team members can post openings on our
project openings page. For instructions on how to find and apply for jobs on the project openings page,
If you are interested in a particular project, try contacting the project’s coordinators. Only a coordinator of a project can add someone to the project. You can contact the coordinators either by posting in the discussions section for their project asking
about joining, or clicking on the coordinators name on the People tab and selecting the Contact option.
Create a Project
Have a project of your own that you want to share with the world?
Click here to get started.