New font?

Apr 25, 2007 at 3:54 AM
Is it just my machine or was there an update to the font used on CodePlex? The font looks different now and I don't recall an update going out or a change on my end.
Apr 25, 2007 at 4:08 AM

bsimser wrote:
Is it just my machine or was there an update to the font used on CodePlex? The font looks different now and I don't recall an update going out or a change on my end.

Yep, with our 4/24 deployment (today) we are using a new default font.
Apr 26, 2007 at 2:59 PM
it looks very nice in IE, but dreadful in FireFox. Any chance you could tweak the HTML so that it is still legible in FireFox?
Apr 26, 2007 at 10:07 PM

markheath wrote:
it looks very nice in IE, but dreadful in FireFox. Any chance you could tweak the HTML so that it is still legible in FireFox?

Do you have font smoothing turned on in Windows? If you're using IE 7, it's configured by default to use ClearType font smoothing even if the OS is not, which could cause this difference. I have ClearType turned on in Windows, and the text looks identical in both IE and Firefox: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dotnetguy/473895577/

You can use the ClearType Tuner to enable and tweak ClearType for the best visual quality on your monitor.
Apr 27, 2007 at 10:31 AM
thanks Brad, turning on ClearType does fix this issue with the CodePlex website. Unfortunately, I think ClearType makes most other applications less legible on my monitor, rather than more.
Apr 27, 2007 at 2:32 PM
This is a tough one. Those fonts will definitely only look good in ClearType, so any time they're used (not just on this site), they will look really bad. I'd recommend leaving ClearType turned on, personally.

If you don't mind tweaking things, you could run the Stylish plug-in for Firefox with a script like this:

@-moz-document domain(codeplex.com) {
    body { font-family: Arial; }
}