Question: Are these two uses of the word "Factory" different?

Mar 29, 2007 at 10:24 PM
Good afternoon.

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this kind of post, but I figured I would start here and see where it leads.

Before I get into my question, let me describe my background. I am a web developer that has been mostly focused on the front-end for 8+ years. Areas such as cross-browser/cross-platform issues, JavaScript/JScript/ECMAScript compatibility issues, CSS-based layout (from the technical side), and (for the last 3+ years) ASP.NET development have been my areas of expertise. Now, I have been put on a team is a developing a single browser based app (intranet/extranet style) using ASP.NET 2.0 and this team is looking at using the Software Factory approach, possibly including the Web Client Software Factory.

I downloaded the Web Client Software Factory and all of the prerequisite items, including the Enterprise Library for .NET Framework 2.0.

I started with going through the code in the Hands On Lab for the Caching Application Block from the Enterprise Library and saw that there is a class called CacheFactory (Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.CacheFactory).

But, in reading through the help files for the Web Client Software Factory, I see that the definition of software factory is something installed in a development environment.

Am I just missing the forest for the trees, or is the word "Factory" being used in two different ways? I realize that the answer might be obvious, but it is escaping me.

Mar 29, 2007 at 10:51 PM
This is a discussion about the CodePlex web-site itself, not the individual projects. Please direct your question to the appropriate project discussions.