"Google Book Downloader" needs to be banned ASAP

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Google Book Downloader ( http://googlebookdownloader.codeplex.com/ ) is a dangerous app because it results in the banning of the IP that is used to query Google books, whether the IP is direct or a proxy. It got my and another user's IP banned even though we never really downloaded even a single book. Given this situation, it is dangerous for users to have an app like this on CodePlex. Please disable, remove and ban it immediately.

Oct 9, 2009 at 1:33 AM

Hi,

Thank you for bringing this project to our attention. We’ve examined the project, and while it is unfortunate that it is causing a very bad user experience for people, I do not believe it is a violation of our code of conduct to host an application of poor quality. I believe we would need an official complaint from Google to remove the project.

Having said that, I would strongly encourage anyone who has had a bad experience with this application to leave a rating and a review about the application, and to post to the discussion board. I’ve seen that you have done so already, so I’m hoping others will do likewise.

I will also contact the project owner directly regarding these issues as a pure FYI to make sure he/she is aware.

Thanks,
-sara

Oct 13, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Thanks. This application is worse than if were just of poor quality because of the damage it causes. In any case, has the user responded at all since you brought the pertinent issue to the user's attention?

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Hi!

I had the same issues. As I am not very good with repairing things - what can I do to get back to google books?`Does my provider has to change my IP adress? If I delete the programm is it really deleted? Or does it still do the same mistake so that my new ip adress also will be blocked?

Henke

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Hi all,

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Google Book Downloader project was removed at the project owner's request.

Thanks,
-sara

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Hi may be google books downloader can cause problems with google book but it's only for few time and after that you can access to service or if you don't want to wait you can change your ip adress and that's work.

But that's for downloading books it helped me downloading a lot of them so if you can work on the banning stuff later on another version it would be good.

Another thing : what's the latest version available ? i know it has been removed and stop developing but i'm using version 0.6.11.36.366. is there any newer version that has came out before removing the soft.

Thanks for helping.