Retiring Old Releases

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:50 AM

What's the best practice in Codeplex for managing old, outdated releases?  After a while, with a fast moving project, they just sort of build up.

M.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:46 AM

There really is no "best practice", but you could either delete the release or edit & mark it as hidden. The latter will still appear for project members, but will not be visible to everyone else.

Matt

Oct 18, 2009 at 2:30 AM

just update the same release, there is no need to create new on each build ;}

Oct 18, 2009 at 2:57 AM

Updating the same release seems like a sort of nasty trick to play on your users.  They wouldn't know what they had or were getting.

I think that hiding the truly old releases is probably the right idea.  Keeping the historical record is always useful one way or another.

Thanks for the ideas.

M.

Oct 18, 2009 at 12:51 PM

It depends on what your releases contain. I have a project with an 'engine' part and 'items' incorporating that engine. For the engine part, I use a new release for every version and hide releases which are more than 3 or 4 versions old. For the 'items', I just update releases as the functionality doesn't change all that much.

Oct 18, 2009 at 1:50 PM

keep in mind that by updating the same release you can change release version, it reports as new release. Anyway storing all releases is wasting space on codeplex servers...