File check-out in TFS takes about a minute!

Sep 8, 2009 at 10:47 AM

I've got a project hosted here (gemli.codeplex.com) where I'm using TFS to manage the codebase. Every time I begin to edit a file that's been checked in, and VS checks it out for editing, Visual Studio locks up for about a minute. That's time enough for me to completely lose my train of thought!

If this is a client problem, I need to know how to fix it. If it's just TFS being slow, it is unacceptable, but I really don't want to have to relocate my project to some obscure shop.

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Hmm, I don't currently see any issues with your TFS server.  Factors such as server usage and current network speed can contribute to intermittent check out slowness.

To help here you might try a different source control client like TortoiseSVN which doesn't perform a checkout every time you edit a file.

Oct 22, 2009 at 4:28 AM

I'm having the same problem. If you've figured it out please share. I use two other TFS servers regularly and don't have the same issue - it seems to only crop up with the CodePlex TFS server. It's getting so bad, I think I'm just going to have to go offline for the bulk of my work and then go online only for checkins. Fortunately, I'm the only dev on the projects I have there so not a big deal.

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:29 AM

I am experiencing the same problem, although it only seems to happen when I edit a non-checked-out file for the first time in the session, where session means 10-20 minutes or so. What I mean is that if I don't use Visual Studio (and hence don't make contact with CodePlex through TFS) for some time, the first edit I make will take a long time, maybe a minute or so, before Visual Studio unlocks and becomes available again. Subsequent edits of non-checked-out files will be quick. However, if I don't use Visual Studio for a while, the next time I try to edit the same slowness will occur again.

Also, when I first connect to CodePlex TFS by opening the solution that uses it, it takes a minute or longer before Visual Studio becomes available.