Feature Request: Stack Ranking of Features

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:36 AM
I am using a process similar to Scrum, and will be stack-ranking my feature list. Currently it doesn't appear that the issue tracking system in CodePlex can maintain this information nicely. I will either have to maintain this externally in Excel, or possibly just put a prefix onto my issue name with a number that represents it's place in the priority list.

I realize that this could potentially open up a whole new bag of worms. I am asking for an additional field to support my specific process, whereas somebody else, doing CMMI lets say, may require a whole different set of fields.

Using TFS I could just edit the work item template. I'm still new to CodePlex (I haven't even attempted to connect up to the TFS instance as of yet), but I'm assuming we don't have access to edit work item or process templates for our projects. If that's a wrong assumption please let me know.

One way to handle this would be to provide an interface to allow users to make some limited changes to the work item template, specifically adding or removing custom fields.
Aug 11, 2006 at 12:02 PM
I'm doing the same (using Scrum with CodePlex, see my blog entry here: http://weblogs.asp.net/bsimser/archive/2006/07/23/Doing-Scrum-with-CodePlex.aspx).

If there were two extra fields, priority and value, that would work for Scrum as well. I think priority should be changed to a number anyways, because everyone always says something is high but it might be good to keep a h/m/l ranking. The point system is how we use CodePlex by assigning story points to a work item but it could be called value or whatever.

So add "me too" for this suggestion.