Using CodePlex _and_ a local private TFS Server

Aug 1, 2006 at 8:42 AM
I've just started using CodePlex, on the CRM Extras project. The CRM Extras project includes a library that provides useful shared MS CRM functionality, which I also use in some of our private projects.

We run a (private) TFS server here for our own projects.

When I open one of our private CRM solutions therefore, one of the assemblies lives on CodePlex TFS, while the others live on our private TFS.

Perhaps not unsurprisingly, Visual Studio can't cope with multiple TFS servers. It can't establish source code bindings to the second TFS server.

What I do is to checkout the shared library in its entirety, work with my solution as normal (though the shared library is not version controlled), and then check in any changes manually. I suppose that's not a bad thing because it gives me an extra layer of control before I make public any changes to the shared public library.

I'd like to sanity check this with the CodePlex community, to check that I'm doing the right thing. Is anyone else in this situation?

Justin

PS I'm really impresse with CodePlex - it actually seems faster than our local TFS server. I guess CodePlex must have a considerably larger hardware budget!
Mar 15, 2007 at 8:47 PM
I think that I'm in similar situation. I have one library project on CodePlex and now I've started another project that uses this library. Unfortunately first project is on tfs01.codeplex.com while second is on tfs03.codeplex.com. So I'm unable to place both projects into one solution and keep both under source control through Visual Studio. :-( I tried to edit sln, vbproj, vssssc etc. files manually with no effect. I haven't find anything on the Internet about connecting to multiple TFSs.
Any suggestion? Thx.
Mar 16, 2007 at 2:43 AM
This is a limitation of Team Explorer. You can only be connected to one TFS server at a time.
Mar 17, 2007 at 9:13 AM
I'd say Team Explorer is due for a service pack, eh?
Mar 17, 2007 at 9:26 AM
There is a service pack for Team Explorer, it's part of the recently released service pack for Visual Studio 2005. Though the service pack doesn't add support for being connected to multiple TFS servers at once.
Mar 17, 2007 at 10:36 AM
Edited Mar 17, 2007 at 10:37 AM
Hi everybody,
I've posted this issue as suggestion to Microsoft Connect https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=263816.