TE Client: basics

Jul 26, 2006 at 4:07 PM
I am an absolute beginner on the Team Explorer, so please excuse me if the question is silly.
I have downloaded and installed the Stand Alone version of the TE. I have been able to connect the TFP server on CodePlex, but now I have absolutely no idea how it works.

When I select 'Open from source control' (the only menu item enabled) I can enter in my project's folder, but from there I have no idea how to upload contents.
I select the local path, but I cannot click OK.

I probably did not understand some of the basics of the mechanism, so I would ask someone to explain it to me or to point me to some introductive documentation on the issue.

Thank you very much

Luca
Aug 3, 2006 at 10:29 AM
Assuming you have already set TFS as your source control plug-in in the options dialog and connected to the TFS server.
http://www.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?ProjectName=CodePlex&title=Connecting%20to%20a%20CodePlex%20Project%20using%20Team%20Explorer

You should create a workspace using the menu File - Source Control - Workspaces. You can add or edit workspaces from this dialog. A workspace will need an active working folder mapping a source control folder to a local folder. I prefer to map the source control root ($) to a working folder on my local PC, this ensures a consistent project structure every time.

You can now browse to the Source Control window from the Team Explorer tool window. You can create folder structures here to organise your source code within your project, there are many different schools of thought on how you should do this. On you local drive copy the files you want to add to the appropriate folders.

Using the ‘Add files’ button from the tool bar you can add either a file or folder. These changes will remain pending until you check-in the changes.

Alternately you can add a complete project to source control by right clicking the project/solution and selecting ‘Add Solution to source control’.

Have fun
Aug 3, 2006 at 10:32 AM
Oh yeah a workspace could also be created from the Source Control window. Drop down the Workspace combo at the top of the window and select 'Workspaces...'
Aug 3, 2006 at 1:44 PM
Thank you very much for the info, unfortunately I am still not able to make it works :-(

I was able to create a workspace, but I am not sure haw to proceed when you say to create folder structure in 'Source Control': this node is not responsive to right-click and I did not find any command in the menues that allow me to create folder from here.
Can you please explain me how to create those folders?

You also mentioned an 'Add File' button that I am unable to find: on what toolbar is it located?

Thanks again for your help

Luca
Aug 3, 2006 at 2:18 PM
Double Click!
From time to time I really ask stupid question!

Thanks again for your help, I think I can play with it now :-)

Luca