Project With Multiple Download Files - Supported?

Jul 20, 2013 at 5:31 PM
I have a project that I want to open source. It consists of the following:
  1. An installer to install the program.
  2. Two XML files that serve as configuration files.
  3. A text file containing version information about the program and the config files.
When the program starts, it downloads and reads the version information file and checks to
see if the user has the latest versions. If a configuration file is outdated, the program downloads
and uses the latest file. If the program is outdated, the user is informed; he would initially have
to go to the website to download the new version. I am thinking about downloading the file
automatically (on user demand) rather than forcing him to open a browser to go to the website to download it.

So, there are four related files, an installer to install the program, and three files that the program would download. Since they are related, it would be best to have them all within
the same project.

Is what I am trying to do possible on Codeplex?

Jim
Jul 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Any files relating to your program (such as those XML files and version information) can be distributed through your Codeplex project. It would be best to have them all in the same project and eliminate unnecessary fragmentation and the necessity to push code to multiple repositories.