What is a "release" supposed to be?

Apr 16, 2013 at 5:12 AM
Edited Apr 16, 2013 at 5:14 AM
Is it a set of source files which the user can download one by one?
I also have the choice of application binary?!?!?!?
I would expect something like a tar file or zip file!

What is the property "show to the public"?

I mean I understand this English sentence but I don't understand the need for it.

My files were published one as:

"Recommended download."

Others as "Other available downloads"

But they should be all together....
Apr 16, 2013 at 1:44 PM
wrong forum
Apr 16, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Hi Peter - the release is not intended to be source files. You can use the source code tab for that. Also on the source tab is a link to download the entire source as a zip file. We do this for you, and there is no need to package up the source files.

The releases section is primarily intended to package up binaries or whatever you get when you compile the source code. Usually, this will be an installer that users can run to install the compiled product. But since it is just a way to upload files, you can use it however you want. I suggest you take a look at some of the other popular projects on the site and see how they are using releases.

"Show to public" means just that - non-members of your project will be able to view and download the release file. You can keep the release hidden until you are ready to 'turn it on.' Or you can use this feature to 'archive' older releases.

"Recommended download" is meant to be a 'latest release' type of feature. It will be the default download that users see when they visit the Downloads page.