Can I commit changes from Team Explorer to Mercurial?

Oct 25, 2012 at 6:08 PM
Edited Oct 25, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Hi,

I'd like to add a feature to an open source project here on CodePlex, but the project is using Mercurial for source control.  I bit the bullet and learned how to create a Fork already on CodePlex.

Now, is there any way I can just connect to my fork using Team Explorer, get the latest, make changes, then check-in my changes to my fork?

If it's not obvious already, I've never used Mercurial, but I have used SVN and I don't like it at all.  From what I can tell, TortoiseHg has the same negative effects.  I don't want to install a tool that takes over Windows Explorer with strange icons and context menu items that I will NEVER use, nor do I want to learn a bunch of new command line switches circa 1980s.  I simply want to click a button in Visual Studio that gets the latest from the main repository, then click another button to upload my changes to my fork.

Is it possible?

Thanks,
Dave

Oct 25, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Unfortunately it's not.  Team Explorer doesn't interoperate with Mercurial.  Though an option you could try is installing VisualHg which gives you Visual Studio integration with Mercurial.

Oct 25, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Thanks for your reply, I'll look into VisualHg.

- Dave

Oct 25, 2012 at 7:01 PM

It looks like VisualHg requires TortoiseHg (a Windows shell extension + other junk) to be installed.  That's exactly what I didn't want, so unfortunately I'm back to square one.  I've asked the VisualHg people if there's any way to get the command line tool separately and configure VisualHg without any installation dependencies.

Thanks,
Dave