Can I commit changes from Team Explorer to Mercurial?

Oct 25, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Edited Oct 25, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I'd like to add a feature to an open source project here on CodePlex, but the project is using Mercurial for source control.  I bit the bullet and learned how to create a Fork already on CodePlex.

Now, is there any way I can just connect to my fork using Team Explorer, get the latest, make changes, then check-in my changes to my fork?

If it's not obvious already, I've never used Mercurial, but I have used SVN and I don't like it at all.  From what I can tell, TortoiseHg has the same negative effects.  I don't want to install a tool that takes over Windows Explorer with strange icons and context menu items that I will NEVER use, nor do I want to learn a bunch of new command line switches circa 1980s.  I simply want to click a button in Visual Studio that gets the latest from the main repository, then click another button to upload my changes to my fork.

Is it possible?

Oct 25, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Unfortunately it's not.  Team Explorer doesn't interoperate with Mercurial.  Though an option you could try is installing VisualHg which gives you Visual Studio integration with Mercurial.

Oct 25, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Thanks for your reply, I'll look into VisualHg.

- Dave

Oct 25, 2012 at 6:01 PM

It looks like VisualHg requires TortoiseHg (a Windows shell extension + other junk) to be installed.  That's exactly what I didn't want, so unfortunately I'm back to square one.  I've asked the VisualHg people if there's any way to get the command line tool separately and configure VisualHg without any installation dependencies.