Changes on 9/25/2012

Sep 26, 2012 at 5:45 AM

Hi,

Not sure, that changing from history to browsing by default is good idea. What gives me browsing of source code, when I open "Source" tab on any project in CodePlex? Currently - nothing, because i just see a tree folder in a left and a big empty space on the center (with caption "Click an item in the panel on the left to view the contents here.").
When by default was "history" - I immediately can see what is going with a project - when was last commits, what last changes - this info is more useful than empty screen with folders tree.

If you won't to change this behavior, just add an option in user profile - which page he want to see first - "history" or "browsing". And also, currently in history page column "Date" takes a lot of space, but "Comment" - not.

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:04 AM

We've had a ton of debates about which view is better to be the default.  Your points are the ones that get debated, is it better to show the history so people can see what's going on, or better to show browsing the source code since that seems to be the more common expected results for clicking on the "Source Code" tab?  We've pretty regularly gotten complaints from people who believe it should default to showing the source code so we've decided to give that a shot for a while and see how it goes.

The empty contents on the right side is awkward.  Even if it wasn't the default view, it was still awkward when people clicked on "Browse".  Maybe we should emulate Windows Explorer and when a directory is selected, so a list of directories and files in the right panel?

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:28 AM

Ok,

what do you think about adding this option (which tab is default) to user profile?

Yes - the emulating Windows Explorer will be better than existing implementation. Good examples of browsing - in github or bitbucket.

Or you can also to think about such feature as "Recent commits" which can be shown on the "browsing" page, in other words combine two pages (browsing and history) into one. If user wants to see detailed history/browsing, he can do it on separate page.

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:25 AM

epic fail...