MetaWebLog and Markdown

May 5, 2012 at 4:40 AM

Hey guys,

We have just received a pull request for adding codeplex support in https://github.com/Code52/DownmarkerWPF

There is an outstanding issue to support markdown in Wiki's (http://codeplex.codeplex.com/workitem/16409), I would like to kick this discussion off as it would be awesome to get Markpad supporting codeplex wiki's using markdown properly!

The way I have achieved this with FunnelWeb is by passing an additional metaweblog attribute 'format', which is either HTML or Markdown. 

Thoughts on Markdown and adding metaweblog support? :)

May 5, 2012 at 5:00 AM

Hey Jake, I actually submitted the pull request :D I agree that it would be nice to also support Markdown, however it may not be awhile. Markpad was a great alternative that we were thinking of promoting so that users who wish to use Markdown, can achieve it to some degree.

May 5, 2012 at 5:05 AM

Thanks for the PR, really cool and didn't realise codeplex supported it :)

I am pulling you PR in now, and also fixing up some outstanding issues around metaweblog to make the discovery and usage a little nicer. 

I will keep it in mind that it is a scenario you guys would like to make work. The other thing that would be cool is a markpad plugin which translates markdown to your wiki syntax. Maybe a bit of overkill, but would be nice :P 

Cheers,
Jake 

May 5, 2012 at 5:12 AM

Awesome. I'll keep an eye out for a new build. RE a conversion plugin, it would be cool, though I'm not sure many people would actually use it. That never stops from building things, though. Our metaweblog api only supports HTML format right now, so the only way a user could edit it in wiki syntax, would be via the website. We'd probably be able to support the format attribute, like you said, though to potentially support that.

I need to find some more free time, maybe I'll work on that converter ;)

May 5, 2012 at 5:14 AM

My skype is jake.ginnivan if you want to chat sometime about it :) I know what you mean about free time...