Metro Design? What are you doing?

May 1, 2012 at 8:57 AM

tonight, codeplex change the design to a childrens birthday party. why not.. i work the last 7 hours to fix the most critical layout change problems. pictures in tables with scary alignment and so on. also the minimized fixed with cause problems for me. the navigation line Home->Page is not visible in root pages and once again that cause trouble for me and so on... the table borders are invisible for me now, i re-create the tables but nothing helps. why?  BTW:  the most problems can be resolved with an option to hide the box on the right side for wikipipages. any chance for this feature?

"We have more things coming"

makes me nervos....

May 1, 2012 at 12:29 PM
Edited May 1, 2012 at 12:30 PM

The old design wasn't pretty, but it was usable. The new design has terrible usability, everything is so pale it's hard to read a page and distinguish its various elements. Also, the header is way too big.

May 1, 2012 at 6:44 PM

It seems like a huge improvement to me.

May 1, 2012 at 7:24 PM

it SUCKS // p.s. do not delete my comments, and keep your opinion for yourself...

May 1, 2012 at 7:48 PM

@radioman your comment was deleted due to inappropriate language. Keep it clean and things will stay.

May 1, 2012 at 7:56 PM

so now you are managing other peoples posts, what a shame... try something useful, like not mess with the design...

May 1, 2012 at 8:37 PM

radioman, chill.

This website provides a service to programmers for free, a way to share knowledge and ideas.  Juvenile behavior is likely cleaned up because it's counter-intuitive to such a goal.

Consider such a reality before posting harsh words about a new layout.  It's a work in progress, I doubt they thought they would post a refresh of the interface and expect everything to be perfect.  That's what threads like this are for, to discuss their decision to make a change and decide what the best way to move forward is.

May 1, 2012 at 8:49 PM

..so why are they moving backwards ;/ anyway, to wreck good design and release it for public, how stupid you must be...

it's like ferrari suddenly screw they formula design, and in the middle of the race all drivers now have to drive with it, no options, no questions, fascism...

May 1, 2012 at 10:48 PM

You must be the only one who thought the old style was a thing of beauty... don't fear change.

May 1, 2012 at 10:59 PM

why download button takes my half screen, where is the missing logic?

May 1, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Edited May 1, 2012 at 11:56 PM

damn, its bigger than the project title itself! total nonsense... hire decent designer, not colour-blind is is prefered, with experience and RESULTS, make it nice dammit...

May 2, 2012 at 12:56 AM

I'll admit there's a fair amount of wasted space; however, that alone doesn't mean the design is bad.  I have a 30" monitor, so the website works perfectly fine if I attach the browser window to the right or left side of the screen, the wasted space diminishes a lot.  That's one thing about the web, pages have traditionally ate up the entire screen, but they don't really need to, and from what I've read on websites the average maximum number of characters a line of text should be is around 70-ish characters.  We should be thankful they didn't go for something like that. ;]

May 2, 2012 at 8:51 AM

the only reason i'm stuck with this is that it was good before, i gues if you need to do it right, do it yourself, as always... never trust anyone

May 2, 2012 at 1:49 PM
justinc wrote:

It seems like a huge improvement to me.

I totally agree. Room for improvement, but loads better than the previous design.

May 2, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I think it's an improvement other than the light grey on white text.  How did that get by QA?  It's nearly unreadable even with good eye sight.  The buttons and widgets are all way too huge, but that's better than being too small.  Also, what's with Metro and the ALL CAPS TITLES lately?  It just looks like you're yelling and it's distracting.  Metro is supposed to not be distracting, I thought.

May 2, 2012 at 7:52 PM

As for me this new design is so big sorrow and i'm so upset with it. I got used to old green style design and i hate those extra big buttons and i hate this violet color. one of the things why i left sf was their overloaded design and bad design of Issue Tracker. and now i see a step to that from codeplex.

May 4, 2012 at 12:41 AM

the table borders are visible now. thx!

May 4, 2012 at 7:35 PM

still, there are to many space for red clouds, download button is still to big, and project title is still limited to half size just to 'save space'...

p.s. yes WE DO NOT NEED TOP BANNER, we know, it's codeplex, so show it only on the main page, no need to have it on each project page.

May 5, 2012 at 5:30 PM

@radioman, As for me i use top left banner to navigate to the main page in all sites..

I'm taking my words about design back. Overal design seems to be cool with some small exceptions...

You do the cool work guys!

May 5, 2012 at 6:03 PM

We're still working on polishing and refining the UI, so continued feedback is definitely helpful.  Let us know any additional thoughts (even small things)!

@DrWeb - You mention "some small exceptions", can you elaborate some on those?  We'd like to look into them.

May 5, 2012 at 6:26 PM

are you deaf, make download button smaller, you are not working at all

May 5, 2012 at 8:32 PM
Edited May 5, 2012 at 8:32 PM

radioman,

Since you can't 'hear' text online unless you're using software to verbalize it in the first place, he probably can't 'hear' you, no.

You're also likely to be 'heard' better if you'd drop the arrogance and don't act as though everything you say must be the way you say it must be.  They'd likely take what you write with more clout if you would utilize logic, instead of emotion, in your words.  Debates are best won with logical persuasion, especially in a realm where most the people are programmers, and logic reigns.

May 5, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Actually i created thead when i first saw that design http://codeplex.codeplex.com/workitem/26179 - i attached issue images to it. As for me i don't like how statistics looks at project pages home. It became worser then was in previous UI, where line background colors were ordering and all statistics was shown... Also its hard to distinguish functional buttons and such rectangles as DESCRIPTION (they looks the same). However i don't have ideas how to make DESCRIPTION, COMMENTS, WORK ITEM DETAILS look better in metro style...

May 5, 2012 at 9:18 PM

As for download button i changed my opinion - as a consumer user don't want to study UI, just download and try app probably, so i'm ok that this button is big.  Also text selection during Wiki and Issues editing still overlays. Everything else looks cool and i almost sure that with time passed i will think that's the most cool and convinient design...

May 6, 2012 at 7:38 AM
Edited May 6, 2012 at 7:39 AM

..there are no logic in half screen download button, i'm programmer, and when there are no logic i feel i live among idiots... it's hard to stand this feeling ;/

May 6, 2012 at 8:14 AM

The logic is that you make the thing you want people to click on big and in a color that stands out. It's not too complicated. I rather like it.

May 6, 2012 at 8:29 AM
Edited May 6, 2012 at 8:29 AM

no known website uses such big buttons, and if i use page zoom, it's insane.. stupid as batshit