Check-ins Best Practice (Codeplex Check-in History)

Jan 6, 2007 at 3:41 PM
Hi, I was wondering what the suggested practice is for check-ins. From time to time, I get to a point where I want to check in my code. The application, as a whole, is not yet ready, but I'm checking it in to preserve the code, for redundancy, etc, etc. My question revolves around that it shows up in the Source Code tab, and I continually have to put comments like "Source not ready." Furthermore, I have not put the proper copyright info on all my files, but now they're available.

I can think of a couple things I could do:
1. Use the TFS Shelves and just shelve my changes until I'm ready. Unfortunately, I didn't know about this feature until now, so I have a bunch of check ins already that I would love to be removed.
2. Don't check in until the feature is totally ready, and the source has been prep'ed (with copyright info, etc.) But this presents an issue if my hardware failed.
3. Don't worry about it... but does this mean that someone can pull down a very early version of my source code and since the files do not have copyright info, do as they wish to it? I do know that prior to the download, they're prompted with the licensing agreement, but still...

sorry this has gotten long for such a "simple" question.

Feb 25, 2007 at 11:45 AM
Edited Feb 25, 2007 at 11:47 AM
To me the source code tab is only a simple way of accessing the source code repository without the need of having a TFS client.

So as a user (well, actually as a dev :-)) I don't would expect the source code to be ready to use. That's why the release tab allows you to upload source code you want to associate with the release. However, I would agree that the Source Code tab should state this more explicitly (like renaming the tab to something like "Live Repository Access").

From a source code management perspective I would not using shelve sets while developing a feature. Shelve sets are for small experiments or for situations in which you cannot check in (due to check in policies).

July Sanders mailed me that due to the fact that the copyright license is already displayed before download there is no need to include the license in every file. However, this applied to the MS-RL license (the same license you are using). For GPL based licenses I think the license must be placed in every file. In these scenarios I think the dev is responsible to place the license in the file before checking in. This could be automated by adapting the file templates in Visual Studio or using check in policies (which, unfortunately, are not available for CodePlex users).