Re-prompt to publish project (project became unpublished)

Jul 15, 2008 at 11:28 AM
Something seems to have caused one of my projects (Xim) to become unpublished twice.  In both times, I recieved an automated email reminding me that I had 30 days to publish the project or it would be deleted. 

Is there a bug in CodePlex causing this or is this some other "feature" somewhere...?

Thanks,
Oren
Jul 15, 2008 at 5:44 PM
Hello,

Sorry about the inconvenience.  We have a filter that runs occasionally and unpublishes projects that seem to be abandoned.  The Xim project must have gotten caught in that filter because it hasn't had a check-in or discussion post for over 18 months and has less then 100 downloads total.

Thanks,
Jonathan
Jul 15, 2008 at 7:11 PM
Okay.  Can this policy please be stated somewhere more visible? 

Thanks!

jwanagel wrote:
Hello,

Sorry about the inconvenience.  We have a filter that runs occasionally and unpublishes projects that seem to be abandoned.  The Xim project must have gotten caught in that filter because it hasn't had a check-in or discussion post for over 18 months and has less then 100 downloads total.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Jul 17, 2008 at 7:30 PM

jwanagel wrote:
Hello,

Thanks,
Jonathan

In addition to having this stated somewhere in site documentation, shouldn't the project owner(s) be notified before something gets unpublished? I'm happy with the filter you guys have but I would think it would be courteous to let the manager of the project know about the check and let them act accordingly.

This of course could start a bit of a controversy. If you alert someone that something is about to get unpublished (or even deleted) they simply go in and post something (say change the status of a task) and they're good for another 18 months. Maybe the check could be a flag to let the owners know, then do a review within say a week that something substantial has happened on that project and perhaps even put the project on a 3 month probation (meaning they have to be active for the next 3 months or lose their published status).

All depends if abandoned projects are a problem here or not.