Get Remote Validation RuleSet List

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:51 PM
The project I'm currently working on requires me to pull a complete list of Validation RuleSets through a web service from a SQL database instead of using the default app.config or web.config files.  I'm using Enterprise Library 4.0 with Visual Studio 2008.  This Validation RuleSet list will be retrieved and used by multiple programs and websites.  Once this RuleSet list is retrieved I'm wanting to then point the VAB to then point to this list (if possible).  I've been researching to see if this was possible and so far I have not found anything.  I was told that you can extend the Validation configuration to look at a different source besides the app.config or web.config files.  I'm also researching another route to see if I can change the app.config or the web.config to point to a web service (similar to how the config files can point to a database directly) rather than extending the Validation.  The architecture of our network does NOT allow a direct connection between the client side and the database.

Basically, is it possible to do one of the following:

1) Can the app.config or web.config be changed to point to a web service to retrieve the Validation rulesets?
2) If #1 is not possible, can an application pull all of the rulesets from a web service and then extend the Validation to point to this list?

If either of these options are possible, can you give me direction in how to do this or if you have any other ideas on how to accomplish this task, I would greatly appreciate it.

Jacob