Process Template?

Nov 3, 2006 at 8:34 AM
I am starting a new project. It looks to me as if no Process Template (or one that is virtually empty) was used to create the Team Project. I would like to use the MSF Agile process. Does anyone know if it is possible to import the Process Template for example?
Nov 3, 2006 at 3:01 PM
Sorry, you must use our process template. We do not support the importing of other process templates.
Nov 6, 2006 at 12:19 PM

Thanks for the reply Brad. Are there any plans to support other processes in the future?
Nov 6, 2006 at 2:46 PM
Well, with these things I say "never say never". At the moment, it's not in our short- to medium-range plans.

I believe that very few open source projects would really want a heavyweight process around bugs (or otherwise, they'd all be asking us for this feature). With a small team like ours, we have to weigh the amount of work for a feature request vs. the number of projects that would benefit from it. We use the CodePlex software for both our external and internal bug tracking, so at times we feel this pain ourselves. I would encourage you to check back after our upgrade is complete tomorrow (Tuesday, Nov 7). The long and silent six weeks since the last upgrade have been spent doing some good usability improvements in the work item tracking area. We've all been very happy with these changes.

Instead of asking for arbitrary process template support, perhaps there are some specific features you might be able to enumerate (i.e., more fields, more values in a particular field, etc.). If you have such requests, please log those in the issue tracker. Not only will that gives us a clearer picture of where the perceived weaknesses are in the existing process template, those kinds of requests have a much higher likelihood of getting done in the short term.

As always, thank you for your support. :)

Feb 26, 2007 at 11:06 AM
Hi Brad,

I actually would be interested by the other way around... Would it be possible to share your process template with us so that we could apply it for simple small VS Team Foundation server users?

That would be of a great help...

You could even think of putting this into a CodePlex project itself couldn't you?

Feb 27, 2007 at 12:46 AM
I've uploaded the CodePlex process template.
Feb 27, 2007 at 9:08 AM
Hi jwanagel,

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. Now I will be able to set it up in my small company and use it the same way I would for the open source projects I'm in Codeplex.

How about distributing Codeplex web app binaries either so that we can also have a small web tracking solution. Not necessarly with all the neat features you have but a bunch of them? ^^

May 11, 2007 at 10:14 PM
I've downloaded CodePlex process template, but I'm not being able to open it using Process Template Editor. Know anything about that? Did you guys use Process Template Editor?
May 12, 2007 at 5:22 AM
No, we used Notepad to edit the process template.
Jun 4, 2007 at 3:08 AM
Just found out that some fields not requested by TFS are required fields to Process Template Editor.