What is the future of Codeplex vs. MSDN Code Gallery?

Feb 5, 2008 at 10:15 PM
Now that I've had a chance to explore MSDN Code Gallery, I'm shocked at how similar it is in looks and apparent purpose (including the "add new project"-style wizard).

Will the Codeplex team be migrating over to MSDN Code Gallery, hopefully avoiding the mess when GotDotNet died a slow death?

If they are to co-exist, what plans for integration between the two communities exist?

How will the overlap of purpose be minimized, and how will you attempt to minimize the amount of duplicated content from one to the other?

Bottom line: why should I continue to maintain existing projects and create new ones here, rather than just work straight from MSDN Code Gallery?

Thanks for your assistance with these ponderous questions.

Mike
Feb 5, 2008 at 11:44 PM
Let me try to help explain. The purpose of MSDN Code Gallery is to be a code sample repository as a replacement for GotDotNet User Samples. The purpose of CodePlex is to host open source projects, and the launch of MSDN Code Gallery does not change anything for the CodePlex website or team.

Here is the simplest criteria to determine which site is the most appropriate for your code:

- Is the primary purpose of your code for developers to learn from or copy? If yes, then Code Gallery.
- Is the primary purpose of your code for people to run it? If yes, then CodePlex.

For users, here is similar criteria:

- Are you a developer and looking for code to learn from or copy? If yes, then Code Gallery.
- Are you looking for open source software to run? If yes, then CodePlex.

Because of these differences we decided they needed to be different sites with different feature sets, so there are no plans to integrate them.

Let me know if this helps or if you have more questions.