Deploying a ClickOnce application

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:55 AM

I have been trying to deploy a ClickOnce application and need to prepare some sort of an installer to be deployed at a remote location. Since, Visual Studio is not available the admin at the remote location will not be able to publish the web application.

Assuming that the local server's name is localserver and the remote server's name is remoteserver.

I tried out the following approaches
1. Published the files to a local server and copied the files from /inetpub/wwwroot/ClickOnceApplication and instructed the admin to copy the same on to the remote web server. However, in this case, the ClickOnce installer failed after attempting to retrieve the pre-requisites for the application from localserver which was not accessible at the remote site.

2. Renamed a machine in the local site as remoteserver and published the clickonce application to it. After that I copied the files in /inetpub/wwwroot/ClickOnceApplication (from the renamed machine) to the remote location's remoteserver. In this case, the pre-requisites do get installed, however, the application does not start and instead the application manifest file is displayed as a xml file in the browser.

I concur that the only feasible approach is to use the MageUI tool. However, I am not certain as to how to specify the pre-requisities, and how to create a bootsrap installer using MagUI. I would be extremely grateful for any pointers in this regard.

Thanks in advance

ashish narmen