How to start development in projects?

Apr 22, 2010 at 2:26 PM

I am new at codeplex. I want to contribute in projects that are under development at codeplex. I have joined one project but I do not know how do I start. Can anyone please answer my following questions?

1) Which tools are needed to start development?

2) How to get source code of project and how to post it back to codeplex after I have implemented given functionality or fixed bug?

Thanks and Regards,

Apr 28, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Goto the project you are interested in contributing to and look at the source control tab.  There are links to the source control clients needed for that project.  Since there are two options for source control that a project can pick, you need to figure out which tools to use from that projects source control tab.  If the project is using mercurial, submitting patches and code is actually a little easier to manage than for TFS, but it is still possible. Here is a little quick start that the MvcContrib project put together to explain how to contribute to that project  This process should apply for most Mercurial based projects.  For TFS someone else will have to weight in on the best way to contribute.  As a person who owns projects I had a difficult time managing user contributions for the TFS based projects. It is much easier as a project coordinator to take contributions when you are using Mercurial.

I know this is not a complete answer but I hope it helps get you started.

Apr 30, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Thanks a lot for your help.

May 1, 2010 at 12:40 PM

I apologise for being naive but what is Mercurial. I have just joined CodePlex and am a university student in Web Development and Software Development and have never heard of it.

Thierry Vincent

May 3, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Hi Thierry,

Mercurial is a distributed version control system. You can read more about it at their site.