Cloud view of tags on main page

Oct 24, 2006 at 3:45 AM
I have an idea about the cloud view of tags on the main page... I find it pretty useful, but when nearly every project gets tagged with "ASP.Net" or "C#", it kinda makes that tag redundant and takes up space from lesser known, but more descriptive tags.

How about making it exclude the top 5 tags by default (but still have them available in the "More Tags" page)?

Just my 2 cents.

Oct 24, 2006 at 5:50 PM
That's an interesting suggestion. Would you mind posting it in the Issue Tracker for further consideration? All ideas are considered during weekly triages and issues get addressed based on priority over time.
Oct 25, 2006 at 3:36 AM
Jan 4, 2007 at 3:16 AM
Is there going to be any kind of cleanup effort to keep the tag count down and reduce redundancy? For example there's an "Open Source" and an "OpenSource" tag, along with a lot of others. Any thoughts on how you guys were going to handle this (or not handle it if that's the case)?
Jan 4, 2007 at 4:24 AM
Some of the obviously redundant tags like the ones you mention ("OpenSource" and "Open Source") we plan to merge to clean them up.

Some other ideas we have that we're not sure about and could use some input from users are:

- Should we merge tags that are different only by version #? (e.g. ".NET", ".NET 1.1", ".NET 2.0", and ".NET 3.0")

- Should we not show a tag in the full tag cloud unless at least two users have used the tag?

- Should we remove tags that after X months have only been used by one person (i.e. aren't becoming popular tags)?
Jan 4, 2007 at 1:56 PM
Your solution is bundles, or collections of tags. Create a .net bundle, and place in it .net, .net 1.1, .net 2.0, etc. Same for open source. Then list the bundle cloud, not the tag cloud. You have control over the bundles while users are still able to use the tags any way they wish. Plus the idea of a tag filtering system can get complex fast. It's a simple matter to put some tag metrics together to see what tags should be bundled, which ones are unbundled, etc.