Downloads Statistic

Nov 25, 2007 at 8:04 PM
Edited Nov 25, 2007 at 8:05 PM
Hi,

How is the Downloads statistic calculated? How long is the update delay?

I'm referring to the statistic that is visible under each project (near Page Views, Startup and Contributors) when browsing the project directory with Project Details set to Show. It appears to be completely wrong.

For example, I was curious to see where http://www.codeplex.com/DocProject ranked compared to other projects, in terms of the number of downloads. The value in the details shows 292 but in fact there are three releases available now, the main file having over twice as many downloads as that according to the releases page. And it's been available since November 7, 2007, which would be a very long update delay, IMO. Here is the current breakdown of DocProject's download statistics according to the release pages:

• Main release, two files: 598 downloads (main file) and 64 downloads.
  • Other release, two files: 24 downloads and 3 downloads.
  • Other release, one file: also 24 downloads.

I'm certainly no mathematician, but I don't think any additive combination of these numbers will amount to 292 ;)

- Dave
Nov 25, 2007 at 9:11 PM
The project directory counts the activity for the last 7 days. So there were 292 file downloads in the last week for DocProject.
Nov 25, 2007 at 10:18 PM
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks :)

I guess it's not really necessary to add a label that states "statistics for last 7 days", although it's something to consider.

- Dave