Sharing Files

Oct 29, 2007 at 6:50 PM
The NUnitLite project is currently based around a VS2005 desktop solution, containing two projects. Since NUnitLite is targeted at both desktop and compact framework use, I wanted to create two additional windows ce projects, sharing the same source and using #if /#endif to tailor for each build evironment.

In fact, I have done just that and it works great except for one thing... I can only do it on a copy that is not under source control. When trying to do it with TFS, I get error messages as soon as I link to source files that are already under source control.

I've read various posts on the web that seem to indicate that creation of a branch is the preferred way to do this in TFS. That seems a bit heavy for the purpose, but I can do it if I have to. An example of how to proceed would help. An alternate solution would be helpful as well. :-)

Charlie
Oct 29, 2007 at 9:52 PM
My best suggestion is: don't use Team Explorer. Use one of the alternatives instead.

Aside from the problem you're having now, by using Team Explorer, you're checking strong ties to the source control system INTO the source control system itself. When people pull down your project, they will be prompted to connect to the TFS server, which they will be unable to do unless they are running the appropriate version of Visual Studio, with Team Explorer installed, and either a Coordinator or Developer on the project.
Oct 29, 2007 at 11:42 PM
Thanks for the pointer. What you say makes perfect sense to me - especially as there is now anonymous access that non-developers can use.

So... is it possible for me to remove all vestiges of TFS integration from the current projects and solution? Or should I just make new ones to replace what's on CodePlex now.

Charlie
Oct 30, 2007 at 5:22 AM
You can remove the source control bindings inside of Visual Studio; this will remove the bits that cause all the trouble.

If you're looking for an inside-Visual Studio replacement, then combining VisualSVN with SvnBridge is very nice. VisualSVN will give free licenses to open source project coordinators and developers as well.
Nov 4, 2007 at 6:12 PM
Actually, I'm much happier with something outside of visual studio. That way, folks can contribute independently of what IDE they use - or even if they don't use one.

I'm now using the Codeplex client and it works great aside from one issue: I can't figure out how to rename or move files, so I have done delete+add instead. I'd rather not continue to do that. Any suggestions?
Nov 4, 2007 at 11:28 PM
CodePlex Client doesn't have a rename operation yet. The team's effort for source control clients has been focused on finishing up SvnBridge... I think all things considered we're rather be in the bridge business than the client business. :)
Nov 5, 2007 at 1:47 AM
I understand - I've been doing without renames on CVS with NUnit for a long time, so I can manage. I'll proabably start using TortoiseSvn + SvnBridge, but I wanted to explore the capabilities of cpc first..
Nov 5, 2007 at 3:37 PM
Another option is the svn.exe command line (again with SvnBridge). The commands for CPC were modeled after svn.exe, so the command line parameters are essentially the same between the two, but svn.exe supports rename.