Using Mindjet MindManager for Requiements Gathering

May 24, 2006 at 5:15 PM
Last month, I created this free add-in to Mindjet MindManager for Requirements Gathering:

Because it connects to TFS, you can use it to create bi-directional requirements maps for your CodePlex project. I will be talking about how I build the solution at Tech Ed in Boston next month.

Michael S. Scherotter
Product Manager, Solution Platforms
Mindjet Corporation
Jun 23, 2006 at 11:42 AM
We are using FreeMind for making notes about our game development. You can check current MindMap here:

Few years ago I thought that it would be great if someone can mix MindMapping with UML 2.0 diagramming tools - maybe this is some tip for you?

Kind regards from Poland
Jun 25, 2006 at 5:27 PM
You'll see on very shortly on the Version Tree Browser Project that I will be doing a lot of testing and working with the MindManager. I'm just waiting on my license to arrive that I purchased this morning to get a few mindtrees in place. One for vision, requirements, Team relationship, maybe release roadmap... I'll be experimenting with it a lot to see where I like it to use it in the project. It works well for how I think and like to visualize and relate information before sometimes creating a document that tells the story in a little more verbiage.
Jun 30, 2006 at 5:07 PM
I'll have to try out freemind. I personally own MindJet MindManger 6 and had approached them with a request for a promo code to allow a limited number of people to use to acquire MindJet Basic at a reduced cost specifically for my project. I wanted to use MindManager but wanted the other most active team members to be able to collaborate with the tool as well.

MindJet's response was to become a reseller or go buy it at a reseller such as Programmers Paradise where it's cheaper than the MSRP. Not exactly what I was after. I was hoping they's see value in mindmaps in community projects (very visible of how it plays in the development process plus how it connects into CodePlex), plus it's use in blogs discussing the project and I even planned to use mindmaps in a forthcoming book. And what I got was go buy it at a reseller.

But... despite all that it's a good product that I use personally but I'll likely look at the the one mentioned earlier in this thread to use on the project and see if I can find the time to build my own integration into TFS.

On a related note and on the extreme far end of the spectrum; we were in need of a diagramming tool as part of the product development. Ideally open source with a non GPL and non-viral license since out project is SS-PL and if we used a viral bit of source then our project then becomes GPL for all practical purposes. Oh yeah and in .NET preferably. Didn't find anything that met the full criteria so approached the commerical diagram component vendors that have royalty free runtime binaries. I think of the 4 we contacted all 4 responded with a resounding yes. They would donate a handful of licenses for the project if we didn't mind a commercial royalty free runtime license dll in an open source project binary. One went a step further and I'll explain that later and who it was once I see that it all works out ok. Now that's sales and marketing foresight and just plain good community support.
Sep 10, 2006 at 6:18 PM
just discovered a long standing mindmapper using mindjet i can only say "what a brilliant idea!"

Oct 1, 2006 at 2:32 PM
Just tried and failed to use the TFS addin against codeplex.

The error message I get when I specify “” is 30063 / You are not authorized to access

I presume this is because I only have rights to connect to my project on codeplex.

Can you assist?